The objective of the protein snacks report is to explore a technological intelligence study on “Protein Snacks”. The report uncovers various aspects like emerging innovations, recent trends, market analysis, and competitive intelligence.
Global demand for high protein snacks has expanded due to rising rates of population penetration attracted towards healthy lifestyles and expanding gym-going populations. High protein snacks are value-added snacks infused with protein sourced from both plants and animals. Plant-based protein includes lentils and protein-enriched seeds while animal-based sources contain poultry, fish, beef, and many others.
Protein is an essential part of a basic diet, however, an estimated one billion people worldwide suffer from protein deficiency. All proteins have a shared characteristic of being composed of long chains of α-amino (alpha-amino) acids. Food manufacturers have been utilizing proteins as functional ingredients in a wide range of food products.
Furthermore, some of the challenges associated with the properties of the chicken are discussed followed by the possible solutions to overcome those challenges.
- The oxidative stability of the product is affected by the addition of chicken powder to different products. Furthermore, the use of artificial antioxidants leads to adverse effects.
- The functional and physicochemical properties of protein-rich extruded snacks act as a major issue such as low expansion ratio, and variation in texture and taste of the food.
- The low printability of ground chicken used in protein snacks forms a barrier while making customized shapes.
- The excessive amounts of carbs and caffeine and caffeine present in confectionery items make them highly toxic and unsafe for human health.
- Adding natural antioxidants from sources like Solanum Nigrum, which are derived from plants, may prove to be an effective solution.
- Incorporating 15% fish meal in the extruded snacks helps in increasing the expansion ratio and other functional properties of the snacks.
- Incorporation of refined wheat flour along with extrusion application helps in improving the printability of ground chicken and getting customized shapes of the snacks.
- Chocolate is a healthy alternative to confectionery food items high in carbohydrates because it is manufactured from 100% natural and biologically active ingredients.
This section of the protein snacks report hereby sheds light on the novel and emerging innovations researched by the experts of Signicent. These innovations enhance the shelf life of chicken proteins and protein-rich chicken & fish snacks in the food industry.
Solanum Nigrum as an antioxidant
Solanum Nigrum is a natural antioxidant that has minimal side effects as compared to synthetic ones. Moreover, when Solanum Nigrum was incorporated as an antioxidant, the results indicated that it improved the functional value and storage quality of the final product. It aids in extending the shelf life of chicken protein as well.
High Protein Burger Patty Resembling Meat Patty
Yardlong Bean is a lesser-known variety of vegetable crops that are used to make protein-rich foods sourced from plants. And such vegetable crop proteins are used in making burger patties highly rich in proteins. These proteins also have the potential to alter meat-based foods by offering a flavor, texture, and appearance similar to meat. The green-colored patty turns brown when cooked at 332- 345 degrees F. This technique employs a low heat process that is preferred for the preservation of naturally occurring nutrients, protein, and minerals in the vegetable crop.
Chocolates with Hemp as a Protein Source
Chocolate is made from completely natural and biologically active substances. It maintains the mental level through dopamine regulation and does not cause any addiction or dependence at the biochemical level due to the glucose-insulin swing. Chocolate has a high protein concentration, however, hemp protein concentrate is hypoallergenic and has a high assimilation rate. Hemp contains 80% protein, including 18% of the important amino acids like arginine, lysine, and glutamine. Hemp has been added to the composition as a protein source in very large amounts.
Each year Signicent provides consultancy to hundreds of organizations to help transform their innovations to value.
Market Analysis & Market Segmentation
Market analysis and market segmentation help to identify the different sectors that are not currently reaching the market efforts. By focusing on those specific segments, one can be able to expand its business globally. The global protein snacks market is forecasted to grow at a CAGR of 9.3% during 2021-2026. It was valued at USD 3.75 Billion in 2021 and is anticipated to reach USD 5.85 Billion by 2026. The market categorization of protein snacks is based on the following factors:
- Conventional High Protein Snacks
- Organic High Protein Snacks
- Protein Bars & Balls
- Processed Meat Snacks
- Chips, Crisps & Pretzels
- Bakery Products
Pilgrim’s Pride Corporation (USA) is an American multinational food firm, established in 1946. Presently, it is one of the biggest chicken producers in the United States and Puerto Rico and the second-largest chicken producer in Mexico. Kerry Group (Ireland) is the world’s leading taste and nutrition company founded in 1972. It brings technology leadership and sustainable growth to the food and beverage industries.
Pilgrim’s Pride Corp. has offered to acquire the Meats and Meals business of Kerry Consumer Foods in the UK and Ireland for about $952 million. Additionally, with the businesses’ combined expertise, the company will be able to discover novel and innovative products to assist the growth objectives of its main clients.
Hormel® Pepperoni Cup N’ Crisp
The product Pepperoni CUP N CRISP is a premium pizza topping with excellent flavor, introduced by Hormel foods in Austin, USA. Hormel Foods is a multinational manufacturer of premium quality food and meat products for consumers all over the world. The flat pepperoni crisps up into a cup with crunchy edges. It can be served as a topping on pizza, salads, and sandwiches.
Nutralys TF- C
Nutralys TF- C is a Fava Bean Texturized product launched by Roquette. It is a textured flavored bean protein that has the nutrition profile of plant-based meats. The product is in the shape of chunks that are made by the shredding process. Around 70% of the product contains protein. The product serves as a meat substitute in meatballs, sausages, and other dishes.
This section of the protein snacks report addresses the leading players working in the protein market of the food industry.
- Automotive Locking & Access Systems: Accessing the Automotives
- Plant-Based Milk Report: A step towards Veganism
- Hyperloop Technology Report: Fueling the hyperloop with new age technology.
- Meat Extenders Report: How do natural products refine the meat quality?
- Ship Propellers Report: How do novel propellers propel the market?